Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Communication is Difficult When you Live in....

We are literally living in the boondocks of Ireland. An Irish girl even confirmed for us that we are in a very rural part of Ireland in a very small town. When we got here, it almost seemed as though I stepped back in time. This small town is seriously something I was not used to. I wish I would have known how small of a town it was here because it may have influenced my decision on coming here. There are good and bad things alike about the town of Carlow, but my homesickness is making the bad things stand out even more. The internet is not the best ever. And by not the best ever, I mean it’s horrible. I think that the horrible connection and the lack of communication that I have with my family are wearing me down. I have been having some issues with all of my roommates. And well the issues are well, issues. Girls are very hard to live with. To try and get me through these hard times, I’ve been spending a lot of time with Cait and Shawna. They make me laugh and make me really happy! I can laugh with them and actually mean it. And they are actually from Carlow in Pittsburgh but we never really talked before this trip. They are lovely girls and I adore them! We said that we wanted to go horseback riding on the beach, which sounds like a smashing good time! Aside from the issues that have arisen, I have realized something from all of this: I live a very convenient American life. In the U.S., we have a brand for everything. And not only one brand, but about fifteen brands for one item. If I saw a Wal-Mart over here, I might faint! Here, you have to go to 8 different stores to find 3 different things. It’s so different from the convenience that we have at home. These differences really make me appreciate me American life. The days are getting easier though. Things close at 5 or 6pm here so the days fly by. And I’m sure that time will fly as well. I am looking forward to spending as magical of a Christmas as humanly possible with my family in a warm cozy home. But,
I'm not counting down the days until I go home anymore, because I've realized how wonderful of an opportunity this is for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment